How hot is social media marketing (SMM)? According to the CMO Survey, sponsored by the Duke University Fuqua School of Business and American Marketing Association, social media spending is expected to grow by a whopping 300 percent in the next 5 years!
What does the rapid growth in social media spending mean for jobs in the field? The Social Media Influence report, The State of Social Media Jobs 2010, found that, “The number of social media job postings has increased by more than 600 percent to over 21,000 in the past five years.” Moreover, the demand for social media marketers is expected to continue and expand rapidly, as more corporations embrace social media as viable marketing strategy. Admittedly, in relative terms, the number of SMM jobs is still small compared to traditional PR, marketing, and advertising positions. Despite the diminutive size, social media jobs are where the rapid growth is occurring, while the conventional positions are shrinking or stagnant.
To learn more about the career opportunities in social media marketing, check out the following resources:
- Emerging Jobs in Social Media
- Social media careers: Education and experience are a winning combination
- Careers in Social Media Marketing
- The 9 Types Of "Social Media Experts" - Which One Are You?
- What Kind Of Social Media Positions Could You Create In Your Company?
- Social Media Jobs (Career Trends & Salary Information)
- How Much Do Top Tier Bloggers and Social Media Consultants Get Paid? We Asked Them!