Ah yes, Valentine’s Day, a.k.a. the pseudo holiday.
It has been a while since my last post, but I thought it would be appropriate timing to discuss social media holiday promotions. Why are they so darn effective? No, this is not going to be a rant about how much I hate corporate America for over-hyping such holidays. In fact, I love corporate America.
If you are a business and NOT running a contest, discount, or giving away freebees through social media today, you are missing out.
A few reasons your business should be doing something to celebrate the holidays:
1. Facebook, Twitter, etc. have the highest amount of traffic on holidays
- Why is this? Working people are at home. Most companies give their workers the day off when there is holiday (not Valentine’s Day specifically). Those workers find themselves with extra time on their hands and typically spend it on the social networking sites that they are discouraged from going to during the work day.
2. People are in a good mood (the holiday spirit)
- As a social media marketer, it is our job to cease the opportunity by giving sales, freebies, etc. to build on this ‘holiday spirit.’
3. People are looking for gift ideas
- Provide the means to satisfy this need! Create a contest, giveaway, etc.
Starting to see a trend? No, it is not take advantage of your customers or prospective customers!
Bottom Line: Use this time of year to your advantage to build customer loyalty through catering to their mood and situation. Who knows, maybe you will help make one of your customer’s holiday just a little bit brighter.
Here are some examples of holiday promotions that I'm working on:
What promotions are you running this Valentine's Day?